Sitting in a top level Management of Information Systems conference this morning with over 60 CIOs from local corporations the panel discussion started and ran on BYOD for over 90 minutes. This is a hot topic and ambivalence, though not overt, is a clear theme. Though corporations see benefits from decreasing overhead and IT inventory to employee satisfaction the risk possibilities around data security are unrealized.
Issues that arose included:
– separation of hardware from software systems
– new data and cyber policies
– data security systems and controls like management and wiping capabilities
– distinguishing or categorizing personal vs corporate data
– policy enforcement
– user safety during equipment use
– privacy concerns for employees
– device support
It will be interesting to see how this opportunity develops and what evolutions arise to support it’s progress. What are you seeing in your organizations?